Griffons shut out in Maryville


The eighth ranked Missouri Western football team had a tough day this past Saturday in Maryville, Mo. as the seventh ranked Northwest Bearcats shut them out with a score of 42-0.

So far this season, the Griffons have had what was considered one of the highest scoring offenses in the nation, but the Bearcats found a way to stop it.

“We played horrible; offensively I don’t think we ever really showed up. Defensively we played hard but we made some mistakes and kept some things going for them,” Head coach, Jerry Partridge, said.

On the first drive of the game Western had some trouble getting up the field as quarterback, Drew Newhart, who threw for 119 yards in the game, would be sacked twice.

Northwest made numerous mistakes in the first part of the quarter, getting penalties for roughing the kicker as well as roughing the passer. These mistakes would allow Western to keep the ball in their possession for the first five minutes of play.

A Griffon defender takes down the Bearcat ball carrier Saturday. Photo | Jason Brown

Nothing good would come from these opportunities for the Griffons.

Northwest would be the first to get on the board with a 28 yard pass from All-American quarterback, Blake Bolles, to Jake Soy; putting Northwest up by seven.

The second quarter started on a good note with a Jack Long interception with about 13 minutes left to go in the half, but the Griffon offense just couldn’t take advantage of the opportunity and was forced to punt away to the Bearcats.

The punt would be returned 78 yards by Northwest returner, Jordan Simmons, and would eventually be a Bearcat touchdown, making it a score of 14-0.

The rest of the second quarter would go scoreless as possession of the ball would go back and forth with no results.

Western’s normal points of attack were not clicking on Saturday, with only 48 yards rushing compared to the Bearcats’ 205 yards.

Northwest not only controlled the game in the rushing category, they also topped the Griffons in receiving yards with 314.

“They are a well balanced team with many weapons,” Western cornerback, Ian Thompson said.

Northwest would be the first to strike in the third quarter on a 95 yard drive taking close to six minutes off of the clock, putting the Bearcats up 21-0.

“The game was within reach until they had the 95 yard drive,” Partridge said.

After a few unproductive possessions by both Western and Northwest, Western got the ball with three minutes remaining in the quarter.

Griffon running back Michael Hill rushed for ten yards getting the first down for Western. It finally seemed like Western’s offense was back to its normal attack.

However, Western would find themselves in trouble yet again, when Newhart’s pass was intercepted by Chad Kilgore at the MWSU 44 yard line.

The rest of the game would be controlled by Northwest as they scored three more touchdowns, making the final score 42-0.

As for how the Griffons are going to recover from this loss, Western knows that they need to move on and focus on one game at a time.

“We have already put Northwest behind us, we’ve just got to correct our mistakes. This week all we are thinking about is beating Truman,” Western linebacker, Tom Madget said.

Even though Western didn’t perform up to their potential, the Griffons will dust off their shoulders and prepare for the battle against the Truman Bulldogs this Saturday, Oct. 9 at 1:30 pm.

“It’s on to the next, you’ve got to have a short memory in this game,” Thompson said.

Western falls to 4-1 overall on the season and 2-1 in conference play.

Comments are closed.